Using true stories to promote awareness of the needs around the world...

I want to inspire you to make a difference

Sunday 7 July 2013

Is He Dead?

I thought he was dead, but I prayed and prayed that he would be okay.

 I had been attending his mother as her labor support person for many hours.  There was no sign that there would be a problem, but when he was born, he was grey, limp, and he did not start breathing or crying on his own.  There was a cord around his neck that was not removed by the student that was delivering him.  Maybe that was the problem, I don't know.

After a couple of minutes, the student realized that this baby needed more than a little stimulation.  I had run and gotten the ambu bag thingy for them just in case.  Sure enough, they started to try and resuscitate him and after what seemed like a very long time he started to cry.  Soon he was nursing. 

I thanked God for another little one that lived.  It was the 2nd close call in one day.

In the tribe I lived with for years, they do not stimulate a baby after it is born.  They just watch and wait to see if it is alive or not.  They never pick it up or touch it unless it cries.  So many of their babies were "stillborn."  In reality though I wonder if they could have lived if they were helped along a bit to take that first breathe. 

Whatever the case, I hate that 50% of children there never have the chance to grow up.  I want to help see that change.

No comments:

Post a Comment