Using true stories to promote awareness of the needs around the world...

I want to inspire you to make a difference

Wednesday 15 May 2013

A Little Girl in Labor

She was twelve years old.  She had been in labor for two days and was HIV positive.  As I held her and rubbed her back through the contractons, it was hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that this girl was only two years older than my son.

A smaller clinic 3 hours away had sent her to this larger hospital because they felt her labor was taking too long.  None of her family came with her.  She was so scared, and very much alone.  She kept calling out for her mom.

I encouraged her to walk if she could, and she did. She walked and walked and walked.  Eventually she had a baby boy.  When he started to nurse for the first time, the look on her face made me want to cry.  Her expression was that of  joy and amazement and love for this new little miracle that had been inside her only moments ago. 

I don't know her whole story, and I don't know what life will look like for her as she heads home. I doubt it is pretty.  All I can do is pray for her.


Left: you can see a woman walking away with a bag of firewood.  Right: the next generation of little women

No comments:

Post a Comment